TUCSON, Ariz. – The Illinois Tech baseball team oppose Augsburg for the second time in three days on Monday at Tucson. Arizona's Kino Sports Complex. After the Scarlet Hawks defeated the Auggies back on Saturday, Augsburg was able to down Tech 6-2 on Monday.
- Augsburg: 6 runs, 12 hits, 0 errors
- Tech 2 runs, 6 hits, 2 errors
How it Happened
- Augsburg jumped ahead in the top of the first inning, as a two-out, three run homer put the Auggies up 3-0.
- After a leadoff triple came around to score for Augsburg in the top of the third, Illinois Tech plated a run in the bottom half. The Scarlet Hawks walked four times, with a run coming in on Zachary Dickey's two-out base-on-balls to bring the score to 4-1.
- In the sixth inning, the Scarlet Hawks would tack on another tally. After Christian Lopez led the frame off with a double, James Tarala drove him in on a sacrifice fly after Carsten Wahl successfully advanced Lopez to third on a groundball to second base.
- Illinois Tech starter Kyle Bumpass really found a groove after Augsburg's third inning run. The Crete, Illinois native allowed just four hits and one walk from the fourth inning through the eighth inning, keeping the Auggies at bay and the Scarlet Hawks within striking distance.
- Augsburg was able to add two more runs in the bottom of the ninth inning against the Hawks bullpen. Tech was unable to get anything going in the bottom half of the inning.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Bumpass took his second loss of the season, but it was due to tough luck. The junior tossed eight innings, allowing four runs and striking out five.
- Lopez was the only Scarlet Hawks with multiple hits (2-for-4 with a double).
- Dickey and Tarala added the two RBI on the afternoon.
Stats to Know
- The Scarlet Hawks were patient at the plate, drawing six walks.
- Augsburg pitching struck out 13 batters compared to five for the Scarlet Hawks.
- The Auggies stole two bases.
- The Scarlet Hawks are off until Thursday. Tech will oppose Valley City State on Thursday at 3:00 p.m. central time at Kino Sports Complex Field #7.