PLATTEVILLE, Wis. – The Illinois Tech baseball team played two more contest at UW-Platteville on Sunday. While the offense was impressive, Tech dropped game one 14-10 before falling 10-5 in game two.
How it Happened – Game One
- The Scarlet Hawks jumped on the board first, scoring on a Dylan Corsi sacrifice fly in the top of the second after Ted Howell led off the frame with a double. In the third, the Hawks scored when Howell reached on an error by the third baseman.
- Platteville took control of the game over the next two innings, scoring five in the third and eight in the fourth to lead 8-2.
- Illinois Tech would fight back, scoring a run in the fifth before a three-run sixth inning moved the score to 8-6.
- The Pioneers managed to plate six runs over the next three innings, but the Scarlet Hawks made things interesting in the ninth inning. Zachary Dickey, Howell, Johnathon Wilcox, and Christian Lopez all hit two-out RBI singles after an error extended the inning.
- Despite the rally, UW-Platteville was able to get a key strikeout to end the contest.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts – Game One
- Howell (first baseman) had one of his best games of the season, going 4-for-6 with three RBI, two runs scored, and a double.
- Dickey was 3-for-6 with an RBI and two runs scored from the catcher's position.
- Lopez (2-for-5) and Orlando Cardenas-Juan (2-for-3) also had multi-hit games. Lopez drove in two runs.
- Corsi and Wilcox (1-for-3) each had two RBI. Both of Corsi's RBI came courtesy of the sacrifice fly.
Stats to Know – Game One
- The Scarlet Hawks had 12 hits. Platteville recorded 14.
- UW-Platteville committed four errors compared to Tech's three.
- Each team struck out five times.
- Wisconsin-Platteville's Josh Moses went 5-for-5 and hit for the cycle.
How it Happened – Game Two
- After Platteville jumped on the board with a run in the first inning, the Scarlet Hawks took a lead in the top of the third. Tech used a Howell sacrifice fly and a Lopez RBI single to take a 2-1 advantage.
- The Pioneers offense was impressive, as the team scored runs in every inning but the second.
- Illinois Tech would make some noise late in the contest. The Scarlet Hawks scored twice in the top of the seventh despite recording just one hit, crossing the plate courtesy of an error and a wild pitch.
- Another Howell double plated a run in the ninth inning, scoring Tech's fifth and final run in the contest in a 10-5 defeat.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts – Game Two
- Howell drove in two more runs in game two, going 1-for-3 with a double.
- Lopez (2-for-3) and Tyler Tucker (2-for-4) had multi-hit games. Each player also had two RBI. Lopez added a double, while Tucker scored two runs.
- Joseph Hindy threw a scoreless inning in relief.
Stats to Know – Game Two
- The Pioneers outhit the Scarlet Hawks 12-8.
- Each team committed two errors.
- Extra-base hits were key in this contest. The Pioneers recorded seven (five doubles, two triples) while Tech recorded two.
- The Scarlet Hawks will play at Calvin College on Wednesday at 3:00 p.m. eastern time (4:00 p.m. central time).