AUBURNDALE, Fla. - The Illinois Tech baseball team opened up its Florida trip on Saturday against the Pointers of Wisconsin-Stevens Point at the Lake Myrtle Complex. Tech (1-2) was defeated 7-2 by the Pointers (3-1).
- Tech: 2 runs, 4 hits, 3 errors
- UWSP: 7 runs, 9 hits, 2 errors
How it Happened
- Stevens Point was able to jump on the Scarlet Hawks in the bottom of the first with a home run from leadoff hitter Kyle Mrozinski. In the third, Point was able to score twice more to extend its lead to 3-0.
- In the fourth, the Scarlet Hawks started a rally with Orlando Cardenas-Juan and Zachary Dickey reaching base to start the frame. Cardenas-Juan used some heads-up baserunning to score on a pickoff play, cutting the lead to 3-1.
- Tech starter Ryan Cantlin was able to settle in over the next two innings. In the top of the sixth, Dickey homered to right field for his first four-bagger of the season, trimming UWSP's lead down to one.
- Point, however, would find its offense late in the game, scoring four times in the last three half-innings to seal the win.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Dickey was 2-for-4 with the home run.
- Joseph Hindy retired two hitters in relief to keep the Pointers at bay.
- Tech will play against Cazenovia College tomorrow at 10:00 a.m. ET (9:00 a.m. CT) in a doubleheader at Polk State College in Winter Haven, Florida.