AUBURNDALE, Fla. - It was the Scarlet Hawks against the Scarlet Raiders on Saturday as Tech closed out its Florida trip against Rutgers-Newark. Tech (4-7) was defated by the Raiders (5-4) by a 6-2 score.
- Rutgers-Newark: 6 runs, 12 hits, 1 error
- Tech: 2 runs, 5 hits, 4 errors
How it Happened
- Rutgers started quick, homering on the second batter of the game to jump ahead 1-0. Over the next two innings, however, Tech starter Jacob Geiger was able to halt the Raiders offense.
- While Tech struggled to hit, RNU was able to string some offense together in the fourth and fifth innings. Geiger was able to limit the damage by stranding for Raider runners, but Rutgers did plate three runs to go ahead 4-0.
- The Scarlet Hawks showed life in the seventh. After a Peter Upham walk, Michael Courtney tripled him home to score Tech's first run. Nick Bledsoe followed with a sacrafice fly to drive in Courtney and cut the Rutgers lead to two.
- RNU was not done scoring though, as the Raiders scored one in each of the last two innings to go up 6-2. The Rutgers bullpen was able to retire all six hitters it faced to seal the deal.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Michael Courtney continues to rake, going 2-for-4 with a triple, a stolen base and a RBI.
- Geiger went 6.2 innings, allowing four runs and walking just two.
- Alex Riehman pitched 2.1 innings of relief, allowing just one earned run.
- The Scarlet Hawks return home and enjoy a week off of games before traveling to MSOE next Saturday to open up Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference play with a 12:00 p.m. doubleheader.