MILWAUKEE, Wis. -- The Illinois Tech baseball team began Northern Athletic Collegiate Conference play on Saturday as the Scarlet Hawks split with Milwaukee School of Engineering at Augie Schmidt Field.
Game 1 - MSOE 11, IIT 9
MSOE: 11 runs, 11 hits, 1 error
Tech: 9 runs, 15 hits, 3 errors
Game 1 - How It Happened
MSOE responded with a four spot in the bottom half after a couple miscues by Illinois Tech on the defensive end.
They were not done as the Raiders added two more the following inning after another miscue to make it 6-1.
There was plenty of game left as the Scarlet Hawks responded with seven unanswered runs including five in the eighth inning to go ahead 8-6.
A lot of baseball was still left to be played as MSOE scored five in the bottom of the frame to go ahead 11-8.
Tech was able to get one back but MSOE closed it out for the victory.
- The Scarlet Hawks out-hit the Raiders 15-11 but MSOE won in the column that counts.
Game 1 - Scarlet Hawks Standouts
Nick Bledsoe led the Scarlet Hawks with three hits as he went 3-4 with two RBI.
Peter Upham also had a multiple-hit game had two hits and also had two RBI.
Brandon Bennitt went 2-3 at the 9-hole and had a run scored including a two-bagger.
Roberto Carselle picked up the loss for the Scarlet Hawks on the mound (2-2) but still impressed, throwing seven innings, scattering eight hits, did not allow an earned run and struck out five.
Game 2 - IIT 7, MSOE 3
IIT: 7 runs, 7 hits, 3 errors
MSOE: 3 runs, 11 hits, 5 errors
Game 2 - How It Happened
- The second game started like the first game with the Scarlet Hawks striking first but this time with two runs with back-to-back singles by Cardenas-Juan and Dickey.
- A miscue by MSOE made it 3-0 Illinois Tech after Benneitt scored on an error in the fourth inning.
- Illinois Tech busted the game open with four runs in the sixth inning.
- Cardenas and Dickey ripped another pair of singles to help the scoring in the inning.
- MSOE tried to rally as the Raiders scored three in the bottom of the sixth to make it 7-3.
- Both teams were scoreless the rest of the way as Tech held on for the 7-3 victory.
Game 2 - Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Cardenas went 2-5 for the Scarlet Hawks with two runs scored and a pair of RBI.
- The batter after him, Dickey also had a multi-hit game for Illinois Tech, finishing 2-5 with two RBI.
- Crossing the dish twice was Jacob Sorenson who had two key runs.
- Starting pitcher Ryan Cantlin finished what he started, throwing a complete game and picked up the victory after going all nine innings, allowing three runs (two earned), issued two walks and struck out four.
- Illinois Tech has a quick turnaround as the Scarlet Hawks return to action and come home to take on Edgewood for a doubleheader at Ed Glancy Field starting at 1:00 p.m. CT.
- The game will have live audio, video, and stats, with the live audio powered by Illinois Media School.