CHICAGO, Ill. -- The Illinois Tech Scarlet Hawk baseball team split a doubleheader against Concordia University Wisconsin on Senior Day at Ed Glancy Field Sunday. Tech (16-19, 8-10 Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference) won the first game, 5-4, before Concordia (15-17, 9-9 NACC) won the second game, 5-4.
Game 1: Runs-Hits-Errors
- Tech: 5 runs, 7 hits, 1 error
- CUW: 4 runs, 10 hits, 0 errors
Game 1: How It Happened
- Starting off the scoring was Illinois Tech as Nick Bledsoe brought in Michael Courtney with his RBI groundout to go ahead 1-0.
- A big inning came for the Scarlet Hawks the following frame as Tech added three runs. Darius Jones doubled to left field which scored Ted Howell to make it 2-0.
- After the Jones hit, Courtney came up and hit it the opposite side of the field with an RBI double down the right field line expanding the lead to 3-0.
- Orlando Cardenas-Juan made it 4-0 after his RBI single to left scored Courtney.
- Concordia got one back in the third inning to make it 5-1.
- Tech got that run right back as Howell showed his power as he hit one over the left field fence for a home run.
- Looking to rally was Concordia, who scored three runs in the top of the seventh to make it 5-4 Tech but Jack Geiger came in the seventh and recorded the final eight outs to record the save.
Game 1: Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Starting on the mound to pick up his fourth win of the season was Ryan Cantlin, who went 6.1 innings, allowing two earned runs and struck out seven.
- Ted Howell went 2-4 with his home run, two runs scored and a pair of RBI.
- Also recording two hits was Michael Courtney, who went 2-4 with two runs scored and two RBI as well.
- Jack Geiger picked up his second save of the season in dominate fashion, pitching 2.2 innings, allowing three hits, not issuing a walk and striking out three.
Game 2: Runs-Hits-Errors
- CUW: 5 runs, 10 hits, 5 errors
- Tech: 4 runs, 6 hits, 0 errors
Game 2: How It Happened
- This time it was Concordia who bounced on the scoreboard first after scoring two runs in the opening frame to go ahead 2-0.
- Bouncing right back was Tech, adding three runs in the bottom half of the inning to take the 3-2 lead. Nick Blesdoe ripped an RBI single which scored Courtney on a Concordia miscue.
- After back-to-back errors by the Sabres, it allowed Tech to add two more runs in that frame.
- Showing his power this time was Austen Dart who hit a home run over the right field fence to narrow the deficit to one.
- The following inning, the Sabres were able to tie the score at four after an RBI single.
- The same person burned Tech again in the eighth inning to give Concordia the lead late in the game during the eighth inning.
- Looking for someone to shut the door was Concordia and their closer did just that picking up the final six outs as the Sabres came out on top.
- Concordia overcame five errors to capture the victory.
Game 2: Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Courtney continued where he left off in the first game as he recorded two more hits and a pair of runs scored.
- Also with a multi-hit game was Orlando Cardenas-Juan, who had two hits on the day.
- Illinois Tech travels to Marian (Wis.) for a makeup doubleheader against the Sabres on Monday, April 29 starting at 3:00 p.m. CT. The Scarlet Hawks stand in sixth place in the NACC Standings and stand a game behind Marian.