CHICAGO, Ill. - The Illinois Tech men's soccer team played against the Maranatha Baptist University Sabercats at a windy and rainy Stuart Field on Saturday. Taking on MBU for the second time this season, Tech came out victorious 4-1.
How it Happened
- In MBU's first real chance, Eric Fausto scored off of a rebound in front of the net to give the Sabercats a 1-0 lead just under 10 minutes into the match.
- The Scarlet Hawks responded with two goals in less than a minute's span. Christopher Reed tallied from the left side of the field through traffic to tie the score before a beautiful set-up pass from Zachary Whritenour found Brandon Bortei-Doku right in front of the net for a direct shot to take a 2-1 advantage in the 20th minute.
- Bortei-Doku started the second half scoring for Tech after a nice close-range pass from Reed set-up a spin move that shook the defense. He then skipped it past the keeper for a 3-1 Tech lead.
- However, Bortei-Doku was not done. In the game's final stages, Mark Dhom delivered a nice lead pass to give Bortei-Doku a clean look, which he converted for a hat trick.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Bortei-Doku tallied a hat trick on just five shots (four on net).
- Reed had a goal and an assist.
- Whritenour tallied an assist.
- Dohm chipped in his first collegiate assist.
Stats to Know
- The outshooting streak continued for Tech, as the Scarlet Hawks outdid the Sabercats 19-4 in the category. Tech has outshot the opponent in 10 of 11 matches and has yet to be outshot this season.
- Maranatha lost despite not committing a foul. Tech committed eight,
- Tech had six corner kicks while holding MBU without one.
- The Scarlet Hawks will host Grace Bible College in a Monday afternoon affair. Live audio, video, and stats will be available. The live audio will be powered by Illinois Media School.