WYOMING, Mich. – The Illinois Tech men's soccer team hit the road for another non-conference matchup on Tuesday, traveling to southwest Michigan to oppose the Tigers of Grace Christian. Behind a multi-goal contest from Oluwaseun Ogunsanya, the Scarlet Hawks cruised to a 5-0 win.
How it Happened
- Grace keeper Drew Steensma recorded three saves over the first 16 minutes, but the Scarlet Hawks were able to skip their next two shots passed the netminder. Santiago Bartolome began the scoring in the 17th minute with a goal off of an Ogunsanya assist before Ogunsanya scored off a Johnathan Clarke pass just seven minutes later.
- Ogunsanya was not done testing Steensma. After a shot was denied with 7:38 to play in the half, the Naperville native fired another just 1:11 later for his second goal, this time courtesy of a Jason Miller feed.
- After several shots on net in the first half, the Tiger defense tightened in the second. However, Tech was still able to score twice thanks to the first career goals of Jacob Westerhoff (via a penalty kick) and Luke Holzman.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Ogunsanya had his first career mulit-goal game, scoring twice on five shots (four on goal). He now leads the team with three tallies on the season. He also had an assist
- The Scarlet Hawks got a goal apiece each from Westerhoff (three shots, two on goal), Holzman (two shots, one on goal), Bartolome (two shots, one on goal).
- Clarke and Miller also provided assists.
- Fresh off being named the department's male Scarlet Hawk of the Week, Anastasios Manolis recorded his second straight shutout. He was largely untested thanks to a strong Tech back line, recording his first and only save with 2:43 left in the match.
Stats to Know
- The Scarlet Hawks outshot the Tigers 17-3 overall and 10-1 on goal.
- All three of Tech's victories this year have been shutouts.
- Tech has won its last two meetings against Grace by an aggregate of 7-0.
- The Chicago Cup Series resumes on Friday as the Scarlet Hawks host Moody Bible Institute. The Scarlet Hawks will play a single game this season against the Archers as opposed to a home-and-home like in years past. This year's contest will be at Stuart Field, with Friday's match slated to begin at 7:00 p.m. Live audio, video, and stats will be available. The live audio will be powered by Illinois Media School.