Nov 05, 2016
CHICAGO, Ill. – The Illinois Tech men's swimming and diving team put together a dominant performance on Saturday afternoon, defeating Liberal Arts Conference foe Loras College in a dual meet at Ekco Pool 160-63.
- Fresh off of a Player of the Week award in his first collegiate meet, Karsen Diepholz won the 1000 Yard Freestyle with a time of 10:00.64, just 5.64s away from the school record of 9:55.00. Diepholz, Miles Thompson (10:18.06), and Benjamin Cohen (11:14.32) finished first, second, and third in the event.
- Thompson also placed first in the 500 Yard Freestyle with a time of 5:00.96, an event that saw Tech have the top five swimmers (Thompson, Zachary Bonson (5:01.40), Luke Workman (5:05.91), Tristan Busch (5:15.94), and Grant Kitahata (5:27.26).
- The Scarlet Hawks also swept the 200 Yard Freestyle event, as Workman (1:51.05), Bonson (1:53.06), and Jay Korhonen (1:56.79) finished as the event's top three. Korhonen's final split of 26.98s allowed him to overcome a deficit of over two seconds to finish third.
- Korhonen built off the momentum set in the 200 Yard Freestyle, winning the 400 Yard Individual Medley with a time of 4:22.09.
- Julian Escasa won the 100 Yard Butterfly with a time of 52.89s and was also part of both the 400 Yard Medley Relay and 400 Yard Freestyle Relay victories.
- Ryan Lakner, Brendan Howley, Julian Escasa, and Euon Seok Jo combined for the 400 Yard Medley Relay victory (3:33.64, top LAC time pending this weekend's results). Howley also won the 100 Yard Breaststroke with a time of 58.75s.
- In the 400 Yard Freestyle Relay, Escasa, Matt Schindler, Diepholz, and Workman placed first with a time of 3:22.13.
- In addition to his contribution on the 400 Yard Medley Relay, Lakner won the 100 Yard Backstroke with a time of 56.84s.
- David Polzin won both of the meet's 1 Meter Diving events with a scores of 123.80 and 168.75.
- John Wolniak had a strong meet, highlighted by his second-place 100 Yard Backstroke finish (1:01.41) and 59.71s time in his leg of the 400 Yard Medley Relay.
- The Scarlet Hawks will host both Illinois Wesleyan and Carthage on Saturday at 1:00 p.m. at Ekco Pool.