Mar 18, 2019
ORLANDO, Fla. - On Monday, the Illinois Tech men's tennis team took on Bethel to begin its spring trip in Orlando at the USTA National Center. The Scarlet Hawks (7-6) won the nighttime match over Bethel (7-4) by a score of 6-3.
How it Happened
- While Bethel took the first two doubles matches, Davis Housman and Brody Croonquist were able to take the #3 slot by defeating Erik Beckers and Peter Wachtler 8-6.
- In singles, Pol de Santiago continued his remarbakle freshman season with a win over Hunter Fernelius in #1 singles 8-5.
- Tech's #3 singles player, Franklin Zhong, showed resiliency, coming back after losing 4-6 to win 6-2 and then 1-0 (10-3).
- Housman was the only Scarlet Hawk to win in both singles and doubles, as the freshman was victorious over Nick Kundsen 6-2, 6-0 in #4 singles.
- Adam Laitinen won in #5 singles 6-1, 6-2 over Joey Mueller.
- Rounding out the singles wins for the Hawks was Mohammed Shamel, winning 6-2, 6-0 as #6 against Andrew Jenson.
- The Scarlet Hawks continue the Spring trip on Tuesday against UW-Superiror with a 6:30 p.m. ET (5:30 p.m. CT) match at the UTSA National Center.