CHICAGO, Ill. – It was a great season-opening meet for the Illinois Tech men's track and field team, as the Scarlet Hawks competed at the University of Chicago Phoenix Invitational. Tech finished in sixth place and saw a school record broken.
- In his first collegiate meet, Robert Mathis set the school record in the 60m. The freshman clocked in with a time of 7.29s, surpassing Demis Thomas' record of 7.34s set on January 14, 2017. Mathis finished fourth in the preliminaries out of a 25-person field before placing eighth in the finals.
- Mathis was also great in the 200m, finishing sixth with a time of 24.07s.
- In the 800m, Evan Balizado led the way for the Scarlet Hawks with a time of 2:05.78 (fourth place). Anthony Tumas (sixth place, 2:07.64) and Alden Diaz (seventh, 2:09.18) were also strong in the race.
- Edwin Vallecillo finished sixth in the 400m at 57.05s.
- The Scarlet Hawks will compete at the Monmouth College Midwest Invite on Saturday, January 19 at 10:45 a.m.