MEQUON, Wis. – The Illinois Tech men's volleyball team trekked north to Concordia University-Wisconsin on Saturday to play two afternoon matches. The Scarlet Hawks fell in five set to Greenville College before sweeping host CUW for its first win of the season.
- Greenville 3, Tech 2 (23-25, 25-18, 23-25, 25-17, 11-15)
- Tech 3, CUW 0 (25-14, 25-13, 25-17)
How it Happened – Greenville Match
- After the Panthers took a tightly contested first set, Illinois Tech responded with a .346 hit percentage in set two. Tech took a huge early lead of 13-4 and was never seriously in danger of losing it.
- Greenville responded to take the third set, but the Scarlet Hawks once again would even things up. Tech took the lead for good at 8-7 and later used a 5-0 run featuring two Lukasz Kupiec kills to pull away.
- In the crucial fifth set, eight ties and five lead changes ended in favor of the Panthers. With Tech holding an 11-10 lead, Greenville ended the match on a 5-0 run.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts – Greenville Match
- Cinjun Coe was impressive, tallying 19 kills and 12 digs.
- Kupiec added 17 kills and had four total blocks (one solo, three assisted).
- Easton Kays tallied 10 kills, six total blocks (two solo, four assisted), and a .643 hit percentage.
- Ben Peschl had a staggering 47 assists while also leading the team with 17 digs.
Stats to Know – Greenville Match
- Tech outdug the Panthers 62-57.
- The Scarlet Hawks had 19 blocks (three solo, 16 assisted) compared to 13 (three solo, 10 assisted) for Greenville.
- Tech had 58 kills while the Panthers tallied 48.
How it Happened – CUW Match
- The Scarlet Hawks dominated in set one, outhitting the Falcons .381% to .000%. It was highlighted by a 11-1 mid-set run to extend a 10-6 lead to 20-7.
- Things were more of the same in the second set, as the Scarlet Hawks gradually built a lead reaching as high as nine (18-9) late. After a few Falcon points, Tech pulled away to win 25-13.
- CUW improved a bit in the third set, but the Scarlet Hawks managed to stay in control after taking an early lead.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts – CUW Match
- Coe once again led the team in kills with 12, this time hitting .455%.
- Kupiec added nine kills on a .400 hit percentage.
- Daniel Throop tallied 18 assists to lead the Scarlet Hawks.
- Derek Bostick had 11 digs to pace the team.
Stats to Know – CUW Match
- Hit percentages told the story of this match, with Tech outhitting the Falcons .354% to .000%.
- Tech held CUW to just 19 total kills.
- Digs were in favor of the Scarlet Hawks at 28-14.
- Tech's home opener is on Wednesday, January 24 against Trinity Christian at 7:00 p.m. Live audio, video, and stats will be available. The live audio will be powered by Illinois Media School.