THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- The Illinois Tech men's volleyball team was unable to overcome a slow start as the Scarlet Hawks dropped their match to the No. 8 team in the country Cal Lutheran.
The Kingsmen (4-2) won in three sets but the Scarlet Hawks (0-3) kept it close in every set. Cal Lutheran won 25-19, 25-22, 25-21.
How It Happened
- Cal Lutheran won the first set, 25-19, after hitting a .214. The Kingsmen were ahead 7-2 in the opening set but the Scarlet Hawks fought back and tied it at 14.
- Illinois Tech led 15-14 in the second set but Cal Lutheran scored the next 11 out of 18 points to take the second set 25-22.
- Both teams were pretty much evenly matched in the third set, the Kingsmen hit .250 while the Scarlet Hawks hit .240 but Cal Lutheran came out of top 25-21.
Scarlet Hawks Standouts
- Andriy Bench led the Scarlet Hawks with 15 kills on a .345 attack percentage.
- Easton Kays had eight kills for Illinois Tech.
- Evan Robeck was a force near the net, recording five blocks.
- Michael Ganczar found many people all night for points as he recorded 21 assists.
- Illinois Tech resumes play tomorrow, Saturday, January 26 as the Scarlet Hawks take on the University of California-Santa Cruiz, who is receiving votes in NCAA Division III.