WAVERLY, Iowa – The Illinois Tech women's lacrosse team improved its overall record to 7-1 and Midwest Women's Lacrosse Conference record to 4-0 on Saturday afternoon. Tech battled wet weather conditions to defeat Wartburg College 9-5.
How it Happened
- Tech started the match fast, scoring two goals in the first five minutes. Madison Meredith and Sarah Maciorowski each tallied to give the Scarlet Hawks a 2-0 lead.
- Wartburg held the Scarlet Hawks scoreless over the next 19 minutes, scoring three times to take a 3-2 lead.
- The Hawks bounced back to finish the half on a strong note. Alyssa DeLuca and Isabella Rubin each scored twice over the half's final 6:05 as the team took a 6-4 lead into halftime. One of Rubin's tallies came at a player disadvantage.
- Rubin continued the scoring shortly after halftime, scoring on Meredith's 19th assist of the season just 3:11 after halftime to take a 7-4 lead.
- After a Wartburg goal just two minutes after Rubin's, the hosts were held scoreless for the rest of the match. Both Rubin and Maciorowski scored to wrap up the tallies for Tech.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Rubin led all players with four goals. She also tallied an assist and two ground balls.
- DeLuca and Maciorowski each scored twice. Maciorowski also had two draw controls.
- Abbie Reynolds made eight saves to move to 6-1 on the season.
- Meredith tallied a goal and an assist.
Stats to Know
- Tech outshot Warburg 18-11.
- The Scarlet Hawks are one of four MLWC unbeaten left after Saturday's action (Tech, Beloit, Aurora, Concordia-Wisconsin).
- The Scarlet Hawks are right back in action tomorrow. Tech will oppose Loras College at noon in Dubuque, Iowa. Live video and stats will be available.