CHICAGO, Ill. - The Illinois Tech women's lacrosse team (7-7, 6-4 MWLC) was impressive for the second straight day on Sunday, downing the Knights of Wartburg College (5-8, 2-6) 12-4 on Christian Jones' Senior Day at Stuart Field.
How it Happened
- After 10 minutes of goalless lacrosse, the Knights' Alex Pollock struck first.
- Despite allowing the match's first goal, the Scarlet Hawks proceeded to take control. Tech would tally the next six points, with Alyssa DeLuca and Madison Mereidth combining for four of those goals.
- Shanie Scoles scored her second goal of the half just before intermission to answer a 2-0 Wartburg run, giving the Scarlet Hawks a 7-3 halftime advantage.
- Tech shutout the Knights for the first 29:55 of the first half thanks to 11 seconnd half saves from Jessica Cochis in net. This, combined with four more Scarlet Hawk goals (two from Scoles) allowed Illinois Tech to coast to the victory.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Cochis' net play was outstanding. She stopped 12 total shots while allowing just four goals, leading to a .667 save percentage. The Pennsylvania native moved to 6-3 on the season with the win.
- Scoles led the team in goal (four) and draw controls (eight).
- Meredith (three goals, two assists, two caused turnovers) and DeLuca (three goals, three ground balls) each had hat tricks.
- Isabella Rubin tallied a goal on two shots.
- Jennifer Young caused five turnovers and picked up four ground balls to lead Tech in both categories.
- Jones caused a turnover on her Senior Day.
Stats to Know
- Tech narrowly outshot the Knights 22-21.
- Warburg had the slight turnover advantage, committing 18 compared to Tech's 20.
- Tech took 11 of 17 draws.
- Women's lacrosse is slated to play at Beloit College on Tuesday at 7:00 p.m. to close out the 2018 season.