CHICAGO, Ill. - On Saturday, the Scarlet Hawks put on a clinic against the Marian Sabres in a Midwest Women's Lacrosse Conference (MWLC) match. With Shanie Scoles leading the way, Tech (3-1, 3-0 MWLC) downed the Sabres (3-5, 2-3 MWLC) 20-4 at Stuart Field morning.
How it Happened
- Marian's Sally Moris started the scoring in the second minute of the match, but it would not take long for the Scarlet Hawks to respond. Scoles scored the first two of her game-high nine goals over the next three minutes, with one coming off a pass from Isabella Rubin.
- After Jennifer Young scored a goal on a nifty move, Scoles then scored three consecutive goals. With 6:28 left in the half, her goal count was up to five as Tech led 6-1.
- Tech would score four more times before half: twice from Scoles, once from Madison Meredith, and once from Alyssa DeLuca. Brooke Rowan assisted on two of those final four goals and tallied three assists for the half as Tech led 10-2 at intermission.
- The Sabres scored two of the first three goals in the second half before the Scarlet Hawks closed the match on a 9-0 run. Several Hawks contributed during this stretch, including Mallory Tognetti, who scored two of her four goals this season.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Scoles had an unbelievable day, tallying nine goals on just 10 shots (11 on net) while dishing three assists, winning nine draw controls, and scooping up three ground balls.
- Meredith scored four times for the Scarlet Hawks while dishing four assists.
- Rowan had five assists to lead all players. She also had four ground balls, two caused turnovers, and two draw controls.
- DeLuca scored four times and tallied five draw controls, four ground balls, and four caused turnovers.
- Tognetti scored twice and had team-higs in caused turnovers (five) and ground balls (eight).
- Isabella Rubin had three assists and seven ground balls.
Stats to Know
- While the Scarlet Hawk offense was awesome, its defense we just as relentless. The team forced Marian to just 7-of-21 on clears and 1-of-7 in the second half. Marian also committed 29 turnovers.
- Tech was great on the draw, outdoing the Sabres 19-6.
- The Scarlet Hawks outshot Marian 43-10.
- Tech will travel to nearby Concordia University Chicago on Tuesday for a 4:00 p.m. MWLC match.