LISLE, Ill. - The Illinois Tech women's lacrosse team went on the road to Benedictine University Saturday afternoon for a Midwest Women's Lacrosse Conference (MWLC) contest. The Scarlet Hawks (5-2, 4-1 MWLC) came out flying and were able to maintain momentum throughout the game, besting the Eagles (0-9, 0-6 MWLC) 17-3.
How it Happened
- Illinois Tech came out firing, scoring the first five goals of the game and building a 12-2 lead at the half. Shanie Scoles wasted no time getting the scoring started, netting the first goal of the game and her first of four on the afternoon just over a minute into the game.
- Alyssa Deluca joined in on the scoring next, burying the first of her six goals three minutes later.
- Isabella Rubin continued the run for the Hawks with her lone tally of the day. Then, Madison Meredith and DeLuca were able to extend the Hawk run to five with back-to-back goals.
- Benedictine was able to stop the onslaught with their first goal of the day with 18:34 remaining in the first half, but the Scarlet Hawks responded with a six-goal run before the teams traded goals to end the half.
- The Scarlet Hawks were able to control the second half, outscoring the Eagles 5-1. After each team scored a goal early, Illinois Tech scored the match's final four goals over the last 24 minutes.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Scoles filled up the stat sheet for the Scarlet hawks with four goals, five assists, a ground ball, and four draw controls.
- DeLuca had a season-high points seven points on six goals and an assist.
- Meredith and Brooke Rowan both chipped in with five points apiece.
- Rubin and Jennifer Young contributed one goal and one assist each. Young contributed on both ends of the field as well, adding a teamleading three caused turnovers and three ground balls.
- Jessica Cochis stood tall in cage, saving six of the eight shots for a 75% save percentage while playing the majority of the match.
Stats to Know
- The Scarlet Hawks shooting efficiency was the major difference in this one, as Tech was able to capitalize on 17 of its 24 shots.
- Tech will take their show on the road to face MWLC foe Wartburg on Monday at 3:00 p.m.