RIVER FOREST, Ill. - The Illinois Tech women's soccer team faced a tough test on Monday, as the Scarlet Hawks traveled to nearby Dominican University to take on the unbeten Stars. Tech played the Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference powerhouse even until the second overtime, ultimatley falling 1-0.
How it Happened
- Dominican outshot the Hawks 4-2 in the first half, but Tech held the Stars without a goal. Both teams had numerous corner kicks in the last 20 minutes of the half.
- The Stars ramped up the offense in the second half, attempting eight shots. Tech was able to turn away each opportunity, with Elizabeth Bremer making a big save in the 82nd minute to ensure overtime.
- In the first overtime, only one shot was attempted by either team. Erin James of Illinois Tech fired a shot with 51 seconds remaining, which was saved by the Stars' Abbey Brown. Tech had a corner kick with just 28 seconds left, but was unable to generate a chance.
- In the 103rd minute, or the fourth minute of the second overtime, Dominican's Lexi Kiotis slipped behind the defense for a scoring chance, which she kicked past Bremer for a Stars victory.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- James led the Scarlet Hawks with four shots and three shots on goal.
- Julia Taliana attempted two shots.
- Katie Hoefgen attempted a shot on net.
- Bremer made two saves.
Stats to Know
- While the Stars outshot the Scarlet Hawks 13-7 overall, shots on goal were even at 4-4.
- Dominican out-cornered the Hawks 15-5.
- The Scarlet Hawks committed 18 fouls compared to just five for Dominican.
- Tech returns home on Thursday for a 7:00 p.m. match against Maranatha Baptist. Live audio, video, and stats will be available. The live audio will be powered by Illinois Media School.