CHICAGO, Ill. - The Illinois Tech women's soccer team put together one of its best performances in recent memory on Thursday night for its first win of 2017. Tech outshot the Sabercats 39-0 in a 7-0 victory.
How it Happened
- Katie Hoefgen and Julia Taliana connected on three different occasions on Thursday night. One of those was in the 14th minute, as Hoefgen scored on a great Taliana pass to take a 1-0 lead.
- In the 33rd minute, Gillian Larsen scored her first goal of the season on a Hoefgen pass to take a 2-0 advantage into halftime.
- Taliana took over early on in the second half. She scored unassisted in the 51st minute, tallied on an Hoefgen pass in the 52nd minute, and assisted Hoefgen in the 67th. Tech led 5-0 after Taliana's run.
- Erin James scored in the 74th minute to extend the lead further.
- One minute later, Larsen tallied for a second time, this time on a corner kick from Kirsten Robinson.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Hoefgen led the team with 11 shots, supplementing her two goals, two assists, and five shots on goal.
- Taliana's nine shots on goal led the team. She had two goals, two assists, and nine shots.
- Larsen was also very impressive, tallying twice on five shots (four on net).
- James scored on six shots (four on net).
- Robinson's assist accompained her four shots and two shots on goal.
- Elizabeth Bremer earned her first collegiate win and shutout.
Stats to Know
- Tech held the Sabercats without a shot and without a corner kick (7-0).
- The shot (39) and shot on goal (23) totals for Tech were both season-highs.
- The Scarlet Hawks will host Manchester University next Wednesday. Match time is set for 7:00 p.m. Live audio, video, and stats will be available. The live audio will be powered by Illinois Media School.