GALESBURG, Ill. - After a tight defeat on Saturday, the Illinois Tech women's soccer team faced a quick turnaround with a Sunday afternoon match at Knox College. The Scarlet Hawks proved to have a short memory, erasing Saturday's loss with a 3-0 victory over the Prairie Fire.
How it Happened
- In the 20th minute, Julia Taliana struck for the Hawks with an unassisted goal. The tally gave the Scarlet Hawks the first lead of the day.
- Illinois Tech carried a 1-0 lead into halftime despite being outshot 6-4 in the first half. The second half saw an even bigger shot margin in Knox's favor at 9-3. However, the Scarlet Hawk defense held strong behind Elizabeth Bremer in net.
- Taliana added cushion to the lead with another unassisted goal in the 55th minute.
- With a 2-0 lead already in hand, a great throw-in by Katherine Nishimoto in the 63rd minute set up a Katie Hoefgen header for the goal. The 3-0 lead held for the remainder of the match.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Taliana scored her fifth and sixth goals of the season on a team-high five shots (two on net).
- Hoefgen took two shots and scored her sixth goal of the year as well.
- Nishimoto added an assist.
- Bremer made six saves, recording her second career shutout.
Stats to Know
- Illinois Tech has now won three of its last four matches, outscoring opponents 16-3 in those contests.
- Knox did not record one save on the day and outcornered Tech 7-0.
- Knox fell to 7-5 with the loss. Tech improved to 3-8-1.
- The Scarlet Hawks will host Rockford University on Thursday at 7:00 p.m. Live audio, video, and stats will be available. The live audio will be powered by Illinois Media School.