CHICAGO, Ill. -- The Illinois Tech women's soccer team held off a late rally by Marian (Wis.) as the Scarlet Hawks advance to the Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference Tournament Championship with a 4-3 victory against the Sabres.
How It Happened
- Illinois Tech came out of the gate hungry for another chance as Katie Hoefgen scored her 21st goal of the season within the first minute of the match.
- Marian (Wis.) had the equalizer in the 17th minute as Charity Hertel found the back of the net.
- The Scarlet Hawks recorded 17 shots in the first half with nine of them being on goal.
- The Sabres also were trigger happy, Marian tacked on 12 shots with half of them on goal.
- Catherine Klemp recorded six saves in the first half.
- The Scarlet Hawks picked up their defense in the second half, credit head coach Roshane Ellison with the adjustments.
- Julia Taliana gave Illinois Tech the lead with the help of Erin James in the 64th minute.
- Five minutes later, Erin James found Katie Hoefgen this time to give the Scarlet Hawks the 3-1 advantage.
- Caeli Kennedy gave Illinois Tech the difference of the match as she scored in the 76th minute to make it 4-1.
- Then craziness happened.
- In the 88th minute, Alexis Peterson found the back of the net to make it 4-2.
- Not even a minute later, Karissa Preston found Alicia Balken as she banked it in to make it 4-3 in the 89th minute.
- Illinois Tech was able to hold on for the 4-3 victory.
- Caitlin Kenoian picked up the victory in goal after starting the second half.
- The Scarlet Hawks had 40 total shots with 17 on goal, Marian's goalkeeper Amy Birner recorded 15 saves.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Katie Hoefgen led Illinois Tech with shots as the senior had nine with four on goal and two important goals.
- Julia Taliana had seven shots with three being on goal and scored a goal.
- All of Caeli Kennedy's three shots were on goal and she scored a goal.
- Erin James had created two huge passes that led to two huge goals for the Scarlet Hawks.
- Catherine Klemp was busy in the entire first half, allowing one goal and recording six saves.
- Illinois Tech's defense in the second half, who only allowed five shots in the second half after allowing 12 in the first.
- Caitlin Kenoian picked up her second victory in goal and picked up a huge save in the second half.
- The Scarlet Hawks (16-4-1) advance to the NACC Championship tomorrow afternoon as Tech will take on the Dominican Stars (17-2) at West Campus Field in River Forest, Ill. starting at 1:30 p.m. CT.