Aug 26, 2017
DECATUR, Ill. - The Illinois Tech women's tennis team made history on Saturday, playing and winning its first match in program history. The Scarlet Hawks took down Monmouth College 7-2 before falling 6-3 to host Millikin University.
HOW IT HAPPENED - MATCH ONE
- Weronika Halicka impressed in the #1 singles spot, downing her opponent 6-0, 6-0.
- #2 Morgan Colbert, #3 Sophia Nelson, and #5 Allyson Trang all won singles matches to give Tech a 4-2 advantage.
- In doubles, all three of Tech's tandems were able to pull out victories. #1 Halicka/Colbert (8-0), #2 Nelson/Jennifer Young (8-4), and #3 Trang/Paulina Kulyastev (8-2) led the Scarlet Hawks to the 7-2 win.
HOW IT HAPPENED - MATCH TWO
- Halicka remained strong against Millikin, this time winning 6-0, 6-1 in the #1 singles spot.
- Colbert also won again as #2, downing her opponent 6-0, 6-4.
- Halicka and Colbert also won as the #1 doubles tandem, this time earning an 8-1 win.
QUOTE FROM COACH SCANLAN
- "I am so proud of the foundation for the Tennis program that these ladies created today," said Erik Scanlan, who coached his first matches as a collegiate Head Coah. "The energy and effort has allowed us to develop and improve continually through practices and matches. Even though it wasn't the sweep we wanted, the path to our success was laid today. I couldn't be more proud of this team."
- The Scarlet Hawks will host the first home matches in program history on Saturday, September 2 at Dunbar Park in Chicago. The matches are set to begin at 9:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. Tech will oppose North Park University in the morning and Illinois Wesleyan University in the afternoon.