CHICAGO, Ill. – Illinois Tech Women's Volleyball swept both matches against Robert Morris-Springfield and Silver Lake in the second day of the USCAA Quad volleyball tournament at Keating Sports Center on Saturday.
How It Happened – RMS Match
- Robert Morris-Springfield started well, beginning the match with three unanswered points. Tech countered back quickly to a 15-10 lead behind five straight serves from Courtney Darling. Reya Green closed out the set for the Scarlet Hawks with nine straight serves as Tech won 25-11. Sara Hassell led the Hawks with five kills.
- Illinois Tech came out strong to begin the second set. After trading points to start, Tech broke out to an 11-2 lead before the Eagles called timeout. Robert Morris-Springfield closed the gap to 14-7 after solid serving from Marissa O'Keefe and a couple Scarlet Hawks errors, but Tech controlled the rest of the set from behind the service line with Darling and Courtney Curcio. Alyssa Miner had four kills in the set en route to another 25-11 win.
- The Scarlet Hawks controlled the third set from the beginning and never trailed. Leah van der Sanden and Miner added some key kills for Tech while Hassell went on an eight-serve run with three aces to put the set and the match away for Illinois Tech. The Scarlet Hawks took the set and match with a 25-15 victory.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts – RMS Match
- Hassell had eight kills, five aces and six digs
- Miner had 10 kills with a .750 attack percentage
- Taylor Burton led the Scarlet Hawks with 11 kills with a .450 attack percentage
- Curcio added 18 assists
Stats to Know – RMS Match
- Overall attack percentage was in favor of Tech (0.287 to -.068)
- Tech led in kills 36-13
- The Scarlet Hawks led 11-4 in serve aces
- Tech also led in assists (32-12)
How It Happened – SLC Match
- Silver Lake managed to score the first point of the match. After that, Tech burst out for 21 straight points behind great serving from Reya Green. Sara Hassell had six kills during that stretch. After one more point for Silver Lake, Natalie Freund served out the set for a 25-2 win.
- Freund continued her strong serving to begin the second set with five straight successful serves. Hannah Severin contributed two serves and a kill to keep the Lakers within three at 11-8. But the Hawks began another long run behind Courtney Curcio and Green. Lydia Goebel also got going with three kills down the stretch and the Hawks won 25-11.
- The third set was dominated by Alyssa Miner, who had 12 straight serves to get Tech out to a 15-2 lead. Taylor Burton totaled six kills in the set, including the match and set point. Courtney Darling closed out the Lakers with five straight serves for a 25-4 win for the Scarlet Hawks.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts – SLC Match
- Taylor Burton led the Hawks with nine kills on a .571 attack percentage
- Goebel and Alyssa Miner both added eight kills
- Hassell also had six kills with a team-leading .857 attack percentage.
- Green had five aces in her last home match.
Stats to Know – SLC Match
- Total kills favored Tech (36-7) and attack percentage also favored Tech (.446 to -.264)
- Tech had three blocks to none as well as four block assists to none for Silver Lake
- Serve aces were in favor of Tech 14-0
- Tech had 21 assists while Silver Lake had six
- Illinois Tech will travel to take on Moody Bible on Tuesday at 7:00 p.m.