CHICAGO, Ill. – The Scarlet Hawks were victorious for the second time in three matches and for the first time in Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference (NACC) play on Friday evening in the Keating Sports Center. Tech (3-9, 1-2 NACC) took down Rockford College (4-13, 0-3 NACC) in dominant fashion, winning in straight sets.
- Tech 3, RU 0 (25-20, 25-12, 25-15)
How it Happend
- The Scarlet Hawks took advantage of some costly Regents attack errors early on to build a 5-2 lead, but the visitors would reel Tech in. Behind a 6-0 run that included two service aces from Nicole Eggers, Rockford took its largest lead of the evening at 12-8.
- Behind two kills from Karen Marrufo-Zubaran, the Scarlet Hawks would rally right back with a 5-0 run to retake the lead. While Rockford would sprinkle in a few points, Tech remained in control the rest of the set and capped it off with an Alyssa Miner kill.
- Tech's momentum carried over into the second set, taking a 7-1 lead. Rockford never really threatened, as the Scarlet Hawks built a lead throughout. Jessica Weaver gave Tech a boost at the end of the set, coming off the bench to record kills for two of the team's last four points.
- Allison Wilkins began set three with a service ace, which kicked off a 9-1 run. Rockford would put together two different 3-0 runs to attempt a comeback, but the Scarlet Hawks responded with a countering 3-0 run each time. This time, it was Leah van der Sanden providing the exclamation point with the final kill of the match.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Several Scarlet Hawks stood out on the attack this evening. Taylor Burton (nine kills, .643%, two block assists), Alyssa Miner (three kills, .333%, two block assists), and Weaver (three kills, .750%, one block assist) were all strong in the middle.
- Justine Bracco and Mia Phelps each contributed five kills from the right side. Bracco had a .445 hit percentage as well.
- Tech's four-setter lineup of Courtney Darling (11), Wilkins (nine, three aces), Natalie Freund (five), and Zoey Kriethe (three) combined for 28 assists.
- Courtney Curcio (14) and Marrufo-Zubaran (10, four kills) each had double-digit dig numbers.
Stats to Know
- The Scarlet Hawks outhit the Rockford 33-19 in kills and .267% to .022% in the percentage game.
- Rockford tallied 17 attack errors, six service errors, and 11 ball handling errors, giving Tech the upper hand in building runs.
- The Scarlet Hawks held the Regents without a block.
- The Scarlet Hawks will host Edgewood College tomorrow at 12:00 p.m. Live audio, video, and stats will be available. The live audio will be powered by Illinois Media School.