CHICAGO, Ill. – The Illinois Tech baseball team played its annual game at Guaranteed Rate Field, home of the Chicago White Sox, on Wednesday night. Taking on the Maroons of the University of Chicago, Tech (15-18) was defeated by the visitors (18-6) 8-5.
- Chicago: 8 runs, 9 hits, 2 errors
- Tech: 5 runs, 11 hits, 0 errors
How it Happened
- After Ryan Cantlin and Roberto Carselle shut down the Maroon offense the first two innings, Nick Bledsoe led off the second with a double for Tech before a Brandon Bennitt ground out moved Bledsoe to third. Ted Howell then stepped up to home plate and delivered a timely sacrifice fly to give the Scarlet Hawks a 1-0 lead.
- Later in the inning, a two-out grounder by Enrique Acevedo forced a throwing error, which allowed Jacob Sorenson (who stole second base earlier in the frame) to score and extend the lead.
- The Maroons cut into Tech's lead with a run in the third inning. However, the Hawks would respond right away. After an Orlando Cardenas-Juan single, Zachary Dickey executed a perfect hit-and-run with the baserunner, knocking a single to right center that allowed Cardenas-Juan to score all the way from first base.
- A two-out rally ensued for Tech in the fourth. After a hit-by-pitch, Michael Courtney singled to move Brandon Holfield to third base. A wild pitched then allowed Holifield to score before Cardenas-Juan singled in Courtney to extend the lead to 5-1.
- After the Maroons scored one in the top of the fifth, Alex O'Malley entered the game with runners on second and third, striking out the preceding hitter to get out of the inning. The freshman then fired a scoreless sixth inning as Tech led 5-2 after 18 outs.
- The Maroons tacked on one in the top in the seventh and then worked out of a jam in the bottom half of the inning to stay within two at 5-3. In the eighth, the Maroons would find its offense, scoring five to take an 8-5 advantage.
- Chicago's lead held the rest of the way as the Maroons worked out of a jam in the ninth to win it.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Cantlin, Carselle, and Wyatt Ronek all threw scoreless innings, with Carselle's being perfect with two strikeouts.
- Cardenas-Juan was 4-for-5 with a run and an RBI, building off of his 4-for-4 performance at Guaranteed Rate Field last season.
- Courtney was 3-for-4 with a run scored.
- Sorenson went 2-for-3 with a steal.
- The Scarlet Hawks will play a big Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference doubleheader on Saturday at 12:00 p.m. at Marian University.