SCHAUMBURG, Ill. — The Illinois Tech baseball teams split a Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference doubleheader on the road against Dominican. The Scarlet Hawks (17-20, 9-12 NACC) won the first game 4-1 and the Stars (19-18, 12-9 NACC) captured the second, 3-2.
Runs, Hits, Runs: Game 1
Tech: 4 runs, 8 hits, 1 error
DU: 1 run, 4 hits, 2 errors
How it Happened: Game 1
- Illinois Tech scored first in the top of the sixth inning after Orlando Cardenas-Juan singled to center field making it 1-0.
- Responding right away was Dominican who tied it in the bottom half of the frame.
- Able to take the lead the following inning was Tech after a sacrifice fly by Ted Howell as the Scarlet Hawks expanded it 2-1.
- Padding their lead even further in the eighth inning was Illinois Tech with two more runs to make it 4-1. Enrique Acevedo stole home then couple batters later after another RBI single by Cardenas-Juan.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts: Game 1
- Dazzling on the mound was Ryan Cantlin threw a complete game victory, who picked up his fifth victory of the season, in doing so he completed all nine innings, allowing four hits, giving up only one run, did not issue a walk and striking out five.
- Having a two-hit day was Cardenas-Juan, who went 2-4 with a pair of RBI.
- Crossing the plate twice in the game for two runs was Michael Courtney, who also added two hits in four at-bats.
Runs, Hits, Runs: Game 2
DU: 3 runs, 12 hits, 2 errors
Tech: 2 runs, 8 hits, 0 errors
How It Happened: Game 2
- Tech bounced on the scoreboard again in the second game with runs in the top of the fourth inning.
- After Howell reached on a fielder's choice, Zachary Dickey was able to come around and score after an error by the third baseman.
- Jacob Sorenson had an RBI single right back up the middle which scored Brandon Bennitt.
- Dominican had the answer right back adding three runs the following inning in the fifth to take the 3-2 lead.
- Both teams were held off the scoreboard the rest of the way with the Stars coming out on top, 3-2.
- This time it was DU's starter who went the distance for the complete game victory being locked in from the start outside of the fourth inning.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts: Game 2
- Picking up a quality start on the mound was Scarlet Hawk starter, Roberto Carselle, who went six innings, allowing three runs and striking out three.
- Having three players in the lineups all pick up two hits a piece were the Scarlet Hawks.
- Darius Jones went 2-3 in the game with two nice hits.
- Also having two hits was Sorenson after going 2-4 with an RBI.
- In five at-bats, Nick Blesdoe was able to tally two hits for the Scarlet Hawks.
- Coming out of the pen strong for Tech was Jacob Geiger, who threw two scoreless frames in the seventh and the eighth and did not allow a hit.
NACC Standings Update
- Illinois Tech currently stands in sixth place in the NACC. The top six teams make the NACC Tournament. If Tech wins Sunday, the Scarlet Hawks are in.
- Tech resumes an earlier game on Sunday, May 5 at 1:00 p.m. CT when the contest was halted in the 4th inning with the Scarlet Hawks leading 4-0 with a runner on second base and one out.