CHICAGO, Ill. – The Illinois Tech men's soccer team ran into a tough opponent for its second match of the season on Sunday evening, as North Park University visited Stuart Field. The Vikings, who were ranked #2 in the nation in the United Soccer Coaches preseason poll, defeated Tech 3-0.
How it Happened
- North Park's offense came quickly, as the Vikings scored off of a rebound in the second minute. Just five minutes later, NPU was able to score on the left side to go up 2-0.
- The Tech defense tightened up later on, limiting the rest of NPU's opportunities in the half. Jack Critzer also had a shot on goal in the half as the score held 2-0 heading into intermission.
- Several fouls on both sides slowed the early portion of the second half, with the first shot on goal coming 21 minutes in on a header by Cesar Garza.
- In the later stages of the second half, North Park was able to score left once again to ice the match's scoring.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Garza and Critzer attempted the shots on net for the Scarlet Hawks.
- Anastasios Manolis played well in relief, making three saves in the second half.
- The Scarlet Hawks will play at Beloit College on Friday, September 7 at 4:30 p.m.