CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa – After ending day one in second place, the Illinois Tech men's swimming and diving team wrapped up day two of the Liberal Arts Championships on Thursday at Coe College in the same position. Tech sits in second with 212 total points, 18 points behind Nebraska Wesleyan.
Team Scores after Day Two
- Nebraska Wesleyan 230
- Illinois Tech 212
- Coe 195
- Morningside 155
- Luther 151
- Loras 119
- Simpson 75
- Principia 73
Day Two Highlights
- Seth Wissenbach had an incredible morning swim in the 500 Yard Freestyle, improving his seed time by over 13 seconds while clocking in at 4:48.77. In the finals, he improved even more, placing second with a time of 4:43.30, just .29 seconds off the leader.
- Also reaching the finals in the 500 Free was Miles Thompson, who placed fifth at 4:52.16.
- The Scarlet Hawks had four swimmers qualify for the finals in the 50 Yard Freestyle, tied for the most of any school at the meet. Julian Escasa was the team's top finisher in the event, placing third with a time of 21.92s. David Polzin (tenth, 22.14s), Tyler Van Wagener (11th, 22.24s), and Patrick McIerney (13th, 22.83s) also scored.
- Tech's best relay of the day was the 400 Yard Medley, as the quartet of Matthew Randle, Samuel Kalenowski, and both Escasa brothers placed second with a time of 3:31.77.
- In the 200 Yard Individual Medley, Randle (second, 1:55.18), Kalenowski (seventh, 2:03.19), and Ryan Escasa (eighth, 2:04.77) all earned points for Tech.
- The 200 Yard Freestyle Relay team of Wissenbach, McIerney, Polzin, and Van Wagener placed third with a time of 1:27.30, just .09 seconds behind second-place Luther College.