CHICAGO, Ill. – The Illinois Tech men's tennis team hosted both North Central College and Monmouth College on Sunday at XS Tennis in Chicago. The Scarlet Hawks downed the Cardinals 7-2 in the morning before defeating the Fighting Scots by the same score in the afternoon, moving Tech to an even 3-3 on the season.
How it Happened – North Central Match
- The day started off right for the Scarlet Hawks in doubles, as Tech won all three spots.
- Third doubles was the most dominant, as Franklin Zhong and Brody Croonquist teamed to dominate 8-2.
- Both one (Abhishek Rana and Mike Rivich) and two (Yousef Abdo and Adam Laitinen) doubles won 8-3.
- In singles, the top two spots went in Tech's favor. In a tight top match, Zhong downed NCC's Victor Krueger 7-5, 6-2. Abdo was able to defeat Tyler Haizel 6-3, 6-3 in the second spot.
- While North Central won three and four singles, Laitinen and Croonquist assured a Tech victory with wins in the fifth and six spots. Laitinen won 7-5, 6-2 over Lucas Pindak out of the five spot, while Croonquist dominated 6-0, 6-1 over Jon Stroede in the sixth spot.
How it Happened – Monmouth Match
- After Monmouth won against North Central in the middle match, the Scarlet Hawks proceeded to down the Fighting Scots in the second and third doubles match.
- Abdo and Laitinen (8-6) and Zhong and Croonquist (8-5) were once again victorious over their counterparts in the second and third spots.
- In one singles, Zhong was victorious 6-1, 6-2 over Monmouth's Dylan Wong.
- Rivich (6-3, 6-0), Laitinen (7-5, 2-6, 1-0), and Croonquist (6-0, 6-3) won in the fourth, fifth, and sixth singles matches.
- Now having won three in a row, the Scarlet Hawks will travel to take on Olivet Nazarene University on Wednesday at Park Forest Tennis and Health Club in Park Forest, Illinois at 11:00 a.m. The Tigers will be 0-2 going into the matchup.