GRINNELL, Iowa - The Illinois Tech men's tennis team earned its first victory of the season on Saturday, splitting a pair of matches at Grinnell College. Tech fell 8-1 to the hosts before dismantling Central University 9-0.
- The victory for Tech against Grinnell came in #1 doubles, as Franklin Zhong and Pol de Santiago earned a tough 8-7 victory. In singles, de Santiago gave his matchup all he could handle in the top spot, falling 6-2, 7-6 (4).
- In #3 singles against Grinnell, Yousef Abdo fought hard, falling 6-1, 7-6 (7).
- Zhong and de Santiago were at it again in #1 doubles, winning 8-1. Abdo and Adam Laitinen were equally successful in #2 singles, winning by the same score.
- After Davis Housman and Brody Croonquist took #3 doubles 8-3, the Scarlet Hawks proceeded to win all six singles spots for
- a sweep. Among one of the most impressive victories was Mohammed Shamel, as the freshman won 6-0, 6-0 as the #5 player.
- de Santiago (#1), Abdo (#3),Housman (#4) all recorded one shutout victory in singles wins over Central.
- Scarlet Hawk tennis is back in action on Saturday, February 9 at 1:30 p.m. against Millikin University and 5:30 p.m. against UW-Whitewater. Both matches will be played at UW-Whitewater.