FOREST PARK, Ill. – The Illinois Tech men's tennis team remained unbeaten on Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference (NACC) play on Saturday, as the Scarlet Hawks (15-9, 8-0 NACC) defeated the Stars of Dominican University (5-8, 3-5 NACC) by a score of 9-0. With the victory, Tech clinched the top seed in the NACC Tournament and the league's regular season championship.
How it Happened
- Tech swept doubles 3-0, with Brody Croonquist/Connor Mullane being the most dominant pairing with an 8-0 No. 3 win.
- Yousef Abdo/Mohammed Shamel (8-4, No. 1) and Franklin Zhong/Adam Laitinen (8-1, No. 2) were also victorious for Tech.
- In singles, Mullane was a part of another dominant win, defeating Samuel Pardinas 6-0, 6-0 in No. 6. Croonquist was as well, downing Joshua Sapnu 6-0, 6-0 in No. 4.
- In addition, Zhong (6-3, 6-1, No. 1), Abdo (6-1, 6-1, No. 2), Laitinen (6-4, 6-1, No. 3), and Jack Pio (6-1, 6-0, No. 5) also handled their opponents.
- Conference play will come to a close for the Scarlet Hawks on Saturday as the team hosts Aurora University at 9:00 a.m. at XS Tennis in Chicago.
- With the top seed now locked up, Tech will begin NACC Tournament play in the semifinals on Sunday, May 5 at UW-Madison's Nielsen Tennis Stadium.