DUBUQUE, Iowa - The Illinois Tech Men's volleyball team traveled to Iowa on Friday to oppose Loras College. Tech downed the Duhawks in a tight five-set match, moving to 7-9 on the season.
- Tech 3, Loras 2 (23-25, 25-23, 20-25, 25-20, 15-13)
How it Happened
- Kills were aplenty in the first set, as the two teams combined for 24. After Loras doubled-up Tech early at 12-6, the Scarlet Hawks stormed back to take a 17-16 lead. Loras proceeded to go on a 7-2 run to retake control of the set and hung on to win by two.
- Loras picked up its momentum from set one in set two, scoring the first three points and holding it for most of the match. With the Duhawks up 18-14, Tech took its first lead of the match with a 5-0 run to go up 19-18. The two teams would exchange advantages until the Scarlet Hawks scored the final three points of the set, icing it on an Andriy Bench kill.
- After going up 4-0 to start the third set, Loras would never trail. While the Hawks would stay close and cut the lead to one on two occasions, Loras managed to hang on 25-20.
- Tech took its first lead of set four at 8-7 and never looked back itself, evening the match up at 2-2.
- The Scarlet Hawks took the first lead of more than two of set five on a Evan Robeck kill to go up 9-6. Loras could move to within one late at 14-13, but Cinjun Coe recorded one of his 24 kills to end the match in victory.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Ben Peschl had an astounding 46 assists.
- Cinjun Coe tallied 24 kills and nine digs.
- Evan Robeck has 10 kills and six total blocks.
- Derek Bostick led with 17 digs.
Stats to Know
- Tech hit .151% compared to Loras' .146%.
- Loras had the slight edge in digs 53-51.
- Loras had seven aces compared to Tech's five.
- Tech plays three matches Saturday at St. Ambrose University starting at 12:00 p.m., taking on Augustana (12:00 p.m.), St. Ambrose (2:00 p.m.) and Graceland (4:00 p.m.).