Posted: Mar 29, 2018
OLIVET, Mich. - The Illinois Tech men's volleyball team began a four-match, three-day road trip to end its season, starting at Olivet College in Michigan. After sweeping the Comets 3-0 last Wednesday, the Scarlet Hawks defeated the hosts once again, this time 3-1.
- Tech 3, Olivet 1 (25-17, 22-25, 25-12, 25-15)
How it Happened
- Tech had one of its best offensive sets of the season to start this match, hitting an astounding .565% en route to the 25-17 win.
- The Comets responded in set two, forcing the Scarlet Hawks into nine attack errors.
- In set three, Tech was astounding both offensively and defensively. Hitting over .400% while holding the Comets to a negative rate, the Scarlet Hawks closed the set on a 5-0 run to win 25-12 and go up 2-1 in the match.
- Tech picked up right where it left off in the final set, starting on a 7-3 run and never relinquishing momentum.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Both Cinjun Coe (16 kills, .333%, four aces) and Lukasz Kupiec (14 kills, .250%, team-high eight digs) led the attack.
- Ben Peschl recorded 20 assists, while Daniel Throop had 19.
- Andriy Bench recorded six aces.
Stats to Know
- Tech dominated on offense, hitting .312% compared to .084% for the Comets.
- The Scarlet Hawks outdug Olivet 34-30.
- Serving was key, as Tech recorded 12 aces compared to Olivet's four.
- Tech plays at Hiram tomorrow at 5:00 p.m. central time (6:00 p.m. eastern).