THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- The Illinois Tech men's volleyball team concluded their California trip as the Scarlet Hawks dropped a match to University of California-Santa Cruz, 3-1, who is receiving votes in the latest NCAA Division III Poll.
The Slugs (5-5) defeated the Scarlet Hawks (0-4) in four sets (25-14, 25-19, 21-25, 25-22) at the Soiland Arena.
How It Happened
- UC-Santa Cruz took the first set, 25-14.
- The Slugs were able to go ahead two sets to zero after taking the second one 25-19.
- Illinois Tech fought back and won the third set, 25-21.
- The Scarlet Hawks almost forced a fifth, winner-take-all set but UC-Santa Cruz won 25-22.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Andriy Bench led Illinois Tech with 14 kills.
- Easton Kays also had double-digit kill numbers with 11.
- Lukasz Kupiec recorded 10 kills for the Scarlet Hawks.
- Michael Ganczar had another big day setting people up for attacks, picking up 35 assists and seven digs.
- Evan Robeck had good positioning near the net all game, able to record five blocks.
- Illinois Tech returns to action Friday, February 8 as the Scarlet Hawks travel to the Milwaukee School of Engineering to take on the Raiders starting at 7:00 p.m. CT.