RIVER FOREST. Ill. - The Illinois Tech women's lacrosse team was handed its first Midwest Women's Lacrosse Conference (MWLC) loss on Tuesday afternoon at the hands of Concordia University Chicago. THe Cougars (5-3, 4-2 MWLC) stunned the Scarlet Hawks (3-2, 3-1 MWLC) 13-8 behind a strong first half.
How it Happened
- After CUC's Anna Kellar scored the match's opening goal, Alyssa DeLuca matched it courtsey of a Madison Meredith assist.
- The Cougars would take control for the remainder of the half, rattling off five straight goals to carry a 6-1 advantage into halftime. CUC was particularly impressive just before the whistle, scoring twice in the last 3:16.
- Kellar stood out for the Cougars at the start of the second half, scoring Concordia's first three goals. While Tech was able to score a few times to break up a Kellar run, Concordia still led 9-3 with 17:29 remaining.
- The Cougars would score twice more to take an 11-3 lead with 11:53 left; CUC's largest of the match. Jennifer Young and Meredith were quick to answer for Tech, scoring within 1:30 of Concordia's 11th goal.
- However, the Cougars were able to slow Tech's offense enough the rest of the way. While the Scarlet Hawks pulled to within five, it was not enough to overcome a slow start.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Shanie Scoles led the team with three goals. She also had an assist and five draw controls.
- Both Young and DeLuca added two goals each.Young led the Scarlet Hawks with six ground balls as well.
- Meredith had a goal, two assists, and four draw controls.
Stats to Know
- The Cougars controlled the shot opportunities all match, outshooting the Scarlet Hawks 36-16 on the day.
- Turnovers halted Tech, as the Hawks committed 33 compared to CUC's 22.
- The Scarlet Hawks have a chance to bounce back tomorrow night against Aurora University at 6:00 p.m. at Stuart Field. The MWLC match will have live audio, video, and stats, with the live audio powered by Illinois Media School.