DUBUQUE, Iowa – Every match is of importance for Illinois Tech women's lacrosse at this point in the season, as the Scarlet Hawks look to hold onto one of the four Midwest Women's Lacrosse Conference Tournament (MWLC) spots. Tech (10-4, 10-2 MWLC) did exactly that on Wednesday night, downing Loras (7-8, 4-8 MWLC) 20-7.
How it Happened
- It was Shanie Scoles with more goals to start things off, scoring two of Tech's first three tallies to give the Hawks a commanding 3-0 lead early in the match.
- Madison Meredith scored her second goal of the game with 22 minutes left in the half before Jennifer Young added one four minutes later.
- Tech continued to bring the heat, rattling off five more goals before Loras scored its first with 7:00 left in the half.
- The Duhawks scored three straight, but Tech struck back and went on a 4-0 run to take a 14-3 lead into intermission.
- Tech scored two straight after halftime before the Duhawks tacked on three in a row to make the score 16-6.
- Both teams traded goals to make it 17-7 before the Scarlet Hawks ended the match with three straight goals to win 20-7.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Scoles led the way again for the Scarlet Hawks, adding nine goals on the night and 10 draw controls.
- Adding three goals a piece was Alyssa DeLuca, Mallory Tognetti and Madison Meredith.
- Able to find the open player was Brooke Rowan, who recorded three assists.
- Deluca had six groundballs which led Illinois Tech.
- Elizabeth Zia recorded the win at goal after allowing only three goals in the first half.
Stats to Know
- Tech outshot Loras, 39-10.
- The Scarlet Hawks were excellent clearing the ball by going 19-21.
- Having more controls by 15-12 was Illinois Tech.
- Tech will wrap up MWLC play and host Beloit on Saturday, April 27 as the Scarlet Hawks look to clinch a berth the conference tournament.