PITTSBURGH, Pa. – The Illinois Tech women's soccer team (3-4) traveled to Carnegie Mellon (5-2-1) on Sunday in Pittsburgh for a non-conference match. After playing the hosts tight for the first 45 minutes, Carnegie Mellon pulled away for a 4-0 win.
How it Happened
- Shots were even at 5-5 in the first half. Tech's shot on goal in the half came in the fourth minute, when Jamie Griggs fired a top right shot that was saved by Andrea Sipos.
- Out of the break, the hosts scored twice in the first 10 minutes to take a 2-0 lead. Alex Adams and Helena Spencer provided the scoring for the Tartans.
- Maddy Lui scored unassisted in the 62nd minute to put Carnegie Mellon up 3-0.
- The scoring was capped off by Daisy Gollis in the 70th minute.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Elena Esparcia Cañada led the team with two shots. She also had a shot on goal.
- Tech faces a stiff test on Wednesday at defending conference champion Dominican University for the Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference season opener. The match will take place at 4:00 p.m.