CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa – Day two of the Liberal Arts Championships at Coe College on Thursday featured several strong swims for the Illinois Tech women's swimming and diving team. After two days, the Scarlet Hawks sit in sixth place with 128.5 total points, less than 10 points behind third.
Team Scores after Day Two
1. Coe 244.5
2. Loras 183
3. Minnesota Morris 137
3. Saint Mary 137
5. Nebraska Wesleyan 131
6. Illinois Tech 128.5
7. Luther 128
8. Simpson 94
9. Mills 71
10. Morningside 69
11. Principia 41
Day Two Highlights
- Katherine Lydon entered the weekend as the heavy favorite in the 500 Yard Freestyle, which held true on Thursday. The junior dominated the competition in both the preliminaries and the finals, winning both swims by over five seconds. Her finals time was 5:10.06.
- Also qualifying for the finals in the 500 Free was Delaney Shepherd (seventh, 5:32.13) and Claudia Flores-Berumen (eighth, 5:33.67). Shepherd's preliminary time of 5:32.00 to qualify her for the finals was over 10 seconds faster than her seed time.
- Kristin Wills entered the LAC meet with the seventh-fastest seed time in the 200 Yard Individual Medley, but she put forth one of her best collegiate swims in the morning and placed first in the preliminary round at 2:11.64, almost a nine-second improvement from her previous season-best and an Illinois Tech school record. In the finals, she took home first place once again with a time of 2:12.46.
- In addition, Megan Burrill improved her season-best time in the 200 Yard IM and earned points for Tech with a third place finish (2:13.15).
- Both Jamie Wurster (ninth, 25.57s) and Kiara Jasunas (tied for tenth, 25.60s) scored for the Scarlet Hawks in the 50 Yard Freestyle.
- The 400 Yard Medley Relay team of Wills, Christina Hiotaky, Burrill, and Flores-Berumen made great strides from the morning to the afternoon. The group improved its time by over 10 seconds to place second with a time of 4:05.13.