ROCK ISLAND, Ill. – The Illinois Tech women's tennis team played two matches on Sunday at Augustana College, taking on the host Vikings and Coe College in non-conference play. In the morning, the Scarlet Hawks were down 7-2 by the hosts. However, the team responded with a 7-2 win in the afternoon over the Kohawks to move to 15-5 on the season.
How it Happened – Augustana Match
- In doubles, the Scarlet Hawks won a thriller in the No. 1 spot. Weronika Halicka and Morgan Colbert moved to 17-1 on the season as a pair, downing Augustana's Madeline Lombardi and Caitlyn Schaffer 8-7.
- The Vikings, however, were able to win the No. 2 and No. 3 doubles slots to pull ahead 2-1 heading into the singles portion.
- As usual, Weronika Halicka was a singles winner, downing Schaffer 6-3, 6-1 in the No. 1 spot.
- However, the Vikings won the rest of the singles matches, which included from strong fights from the Scarlet Hawks.
- Colbert gave Annie Timm trouble in No. 2, losing 7-5, 6-2.
- In addition, Tech's Kylie Hance narrowly was defeated by Lombardi in No. 4 singles, falling 7-5, 4-6, 6-0.
How it Happened – Coe Match
- The Hawks sang a different tune in doubles against the Kohawks, winning all three matches.
- Hance and Mouna Chahin were the biggest winners for the Scarlet Hawks, winning 8-1 in No. 3.
- The duos of Halicka/Colbert and Sophia Nelson/Kaitlyn Graves also were victorious, each by 8-5 scores.
- In singles, the Scarlet Hawks won three of the six matches to seal the victory.
- Halicka, once again, won in the No. 1 slot, but this time in dominant fashion (6-0, 6-0).
- Also repeating victory was Hance, who earned a 7-5, 6-2 victory in No. 4.
- Avenging a singles loss from earlier in the day was Colbert, as the sophomore downed her opponent 6-2, 6-4 in number two.
- The Scarlet Hawks will play at North Park on Sunday, April 7.