CHICAGO, Ill. – The Illinois Tech women's tri-match played some local matches on Friday night, taking on Marian University and North Park University at the NPU tri-match. The Scarlet Hawks fell to the Sabres 3-0 before losing to the host Vikings 3-1.
- Marian 3, Illinois Tech 0 (19-25, 22-25, 22-25)
- North Park 3, Illinois Tech 1 (19-25, 15-25, 25-23, 20-25)
How it Happened – Marian Match
- The Scarlet Hawks fell behind early, but an impressive run of serves by Natalie Freund brought Tech back into the set. She recorded three straight aces to move the match to a 15-15 tie. Tech took a brief 16-15 lead, but the Sabres closed the set strong to win 25-19.
- In set two, Marian jumped out to a 4-0 lead and built it to as high as 10 (19-9). Tech would make things interesting, as a 13-3 run highlighted by four Sarah Hassell kills brought the Scarlet Hawks to within two at 24-22. Marian was able to earn the set-clinching point on a kill.
- After two points to begin the third set, Tech saw MU go on a 6-1 run to take early control. Teams exchanged runs until the Scarlet Hawks used a 5-0 run to take a 19-18 lead. The Scarlet Hawks would lead by two late (21-19), but Marian was able to put the match away with a 6-1 run.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts – Marian Match
- Hassell led the team with nine kills while also supplying four digs.
- Reya Green tallied 13 digs to lead all players.
- Alyssa Miner had four kills and team-highs in hitting percentage (.273%) and blocks (three solo).
Stats to Know – Marian Match
- Neither team was successful on the attack. Tech hit just .055% with 24 kills, while Marian came in at .131% with 32 kills.
- A slow start hurt Tech in the match, hitting -.125% in the first set.
- Digs were even at 40.
How it Happened – North Park Match
- The first set was even early on, but the end result was the same as set one of the Marian match. North Park defeated Tech by the same score (25-19) in large part due to a 6-0 run mid-set.
- North Park's offense carried the team in the second set. The Vikings hit an astounding .304% and racked up 12 kills. Tech was unable to answer and fell 25-15.
- In set three, the Scarlet Hawks started to click, especially defensively. Tech held the Vikings to just a -.073% on the attack and used a Freund kill to tie the score at 22, propelling the Hawks to take the lead and win the set.
- Set four began with an impressive 4-0 start for North Park. While the Scarlet Hawks came back to tie the score at 9-9, the Vikings withstood the strong play and closed the set out on a 3-0 run to win.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts – North Park Match
- Freund tallied 19 assists, two kills, four digs, and two blocks.
- Both Courtney Curcio (13 digs) and Lydia Goebel (12 digs, four kills) reached double-digit dig totals.
- Taylor Burton led the team with seven kills and an impressive five assisted blocks.
- Leah van der Sanden and Hassell each had five kills and four assisted blocks.
Stats to Know – North Park Match
- It was a block party at North Park Gymnasium, as each team tallied an impressive 18 total blocks.
- North Park narrowly outhit the Scarlet Hawks in both kills (36-31) and hit percentage (.046-.088).
- The Vikings outdug the Hawks 61-51.
- Illinois Tech is right back at it tomorrow, traveling to Milwaukee for the MSOE Invitational. The Scarlet Hawks will take on Alverno College at noon before facing the host Raiders at 2:00 p.m. Live video and stats will be provided by MSOE for both matches.