CHICAGO, Ill. - In front of an energized crowd, the Scarlet Hawks opened the home schedule on Tuesday night against Concordia-Chicago. Despite a strong effort in the third and fourth sets, the Cougars outlasted the Scarlet Hawks 3-1.
- CUC 3, Tech 1 (18-25, 22-25, 25-15, 22-25)
How it Happened
- Offense was hard to come by in the first set for the Scarlet Hawks. Tech managed just a -.045 hitting percentage in the first set as CUC downed the Hawks 25-18.
- In set two, the Scarlet Hawks kept things close throughout, holding several slim leads until the Cougars broke through late. CUC held off the Hawks 25-22.
- Set three was impressive for Tech. After a negative percentage on the attack in the first two sets, the Scarlet Hawks adjusted and had a season-best .476 hitting percentage. Sara Hassell led the team with six kills in the set as the Scarlet Hawks moved closer.
- The fourth and final set was tightly contested after CUC opened with a 5-0 run. Tech came back to take a 8-7 lead and no team led by more than two until a 3-0 Cougars run made the score 23-19. Tech fought to stay alive, but a Juila Spitell kill ended the match.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Hassell totaled 16 kills, nine digs, five aces, and two block assists.
- Taylor Burton added nine kills and six total blocks (three solo, three assisted). She also had a .300 hitting percentage.
- The setting duo of Courtney Darling (16 assists, nine digs) and Natalie Freund (15 assists, 10 digs, one ace) posted similar statlines.
Stats to Know
- CUC out hit the Scarlet Hawks .157 to .076.
- Both teams were active at the net Tech had 13 total blocks while CUC tallied 15.
- The Scarlet Hawks had nine aces compared to four for the Cougars.
- The Scarlet Hawks will compete at teh St. Mary of the Woods Tournament on Friday and Saturday in Terre Haute, Indiana. Tech will face Florida National (3:00 p.m. central time) and UC Clermont (7:00 p.m.) on Friday before taking on Florida College (12:00 p.m.) and St. Mary of the Woods (2:00 p.m.) on Saturday.