Posted: Sep 21, 2017
CHICAGO, Ill. - The Illinois Tech women's volleyball team hosted the Blue Angels of Mount Mary University on Thursday night. Tech won with ease, defeating MMU in straight sets.
- Tech 3, MMU 0 (25-18, 25-11, 25-19)
How it Happened
- After a pretty even start to the first set, the Scarlet Hawks broke through with a 7-0 run to take an 18-13 lead. Mount Mary was able to hang around, but kills by Taylor Burton and Katie McCutcheon, both courtsey of Courtney Darling, iced the set for the Scarlet Hawks.
- In set two, Tech was simply dominant, hitting .280% for the set. It featured an 12-0 run that saw a 12-10 lead grow to 23-10. A Lydia Goebel kill from Courtney Curcio was the deciding 25th point.
- The third set saw Tech take control with leads of 9-4 and 15-8, featuring two straight aces from Natalie Freund. Sara Hassell ended the match with a kill from Curcio.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Darling played one of her best matches of the season, tallying 25 assists and 13 digs. Both were game-highs.
- Hassell ended with 18 kills, eight digs, two block assists, and a .275 hitting percentage.
- Freund led the team with three service aces. Reya Green (10 digs), Alyssa Miner, Hassell, and Sinjin Acuna all added two aces a piece.
Stats to Know
- The Scarlet Hawks out hit the Blue Angels 36-15.
- Hit percentage was a large advantage for Tech (.213%-.012%)
- Tech outdug the Angels 51-39.
- Tech will parkate in a tri-match at Rockford University on Saturday. The Scarlet Hawks will oppose Maranatha Baptist (12:00 p.m.) and Rockford (2:00 p.m.).