Oct 14, 2017
CHICAGO, Ill. – Illinois Tech hosted the Kalamazoo Hornets on Saturday at Keating Sports Center. Tech won its second match in two days convincingly, needing only three sets.
How It Happened
- Tech got off to a great start, breaking out to a 6-0 start. The Hornets were able to tie the set at nine after several errors from Tech. The Scarlet Hawks rebounded with a 14-3 run behind three kills from Sara Hassell and consistent serving from Reya Green and Natalie Freund. Tech closed out the first set 25-20.
- The Scarlet Hawks began the second set much like the first, with four straight serves from Green. Taylor Burton recorded back-to-back kills to get the Scarlet Hawks up 12-5. Tech cruised to an easy 25-12 victory from there behind two more kills from Burton and more great serving from Courtney Curcio and Freund. Hassell also added five kills.
- Kalamazoo came out strong in the third set, keeping the score close and shifting momentum often. Maria Katrantzi finally got going with three kills and Maddie Goodman added two more plus three digs. Tech's defense was able to hold together with help from Courtney Darling's nine assists and rally back to a 21-21 tie and then closed out the set and match 25-22.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Burton had 11 kills on a .417 hit percentage and three block assists
- Sara Hassell had a team-leading 15 kills, 11 assists and three block assists
- Courtney Darling had a team-high 20 assists with seven digs
- Freund had 13 assists and eight digs
Stats to Know
- Kills were in favor of Tech (40-30)
- Tech also led in Hit Percentage (.243 to .026)
- The Scarlet Hawks led 14-4 in Block Assists
- Illinois Tech also led in assists (39 to 23)
- Illinois Tech will host St. Mary of the Woods on Friday at 7:00 p.m. at Keating Sports Center. Live audio, video, and stats will be available. The live audio will be powered by Illinois Media School.