Posted: Oct 19, 2018
MILWAUKEE, Wis. – The Illinois Tech women's volleyball team picked up a huge victory in Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference play as the Scarlet Hawks defeated Alverno, 3-0, Friday.
How It Happened
- Illinois Tech hit a .358 attacking percentage for the match, including a .409 in the first set which led to a lot of success.
- The Scarlet Hawks took the first set, 25-17 thanks to a kill from Karen Marrufo-Zubara after starting off on a 18-8 run.
- Illinois Tech started the second set on a 5-0 run then the Inferno made a 4-1 run to make it 6-5 Scarlet Hawks but Tech had the advantage the rest of the way to take the second set 25-22.
- The third set was tied at 8-all before the Scarlet Hawks rallied for four straight points to make it 12-8. The Scarlet Hawks took the third set 25-18.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Karen Marrufo-Zubara led Illinois Tech with 10 kills on the night.
- Leah van der Sanden and Justine Bracco each recorded eight kills in the victory.
- Sinjin Acuna led the Scarlet Hawks on defense as she recorded 16 digs.
- Bracco led all Illinois Tech attackers, as she hit a .636 in the match.
- Illinois Tech has a quick turnaround as the Scarlet Hawks return to action tomorrow, October 20 as they take on St. Mary of the Woods College for Senior Day and their home finale starting at 1:00 p.m.