ROCK ISLAND, Ill. -- The Illinois Tech women's volleyball dropped a pair of matches at Augustana College on Friday. The Scarlet Hawks almost picked up the victory against Simpson College but lost 3-2 to the Storm and then lost to the Vikings, 3-0, on Friday.
How It Happened (Simpson College)
- Simpson won the first match by a narrow margin, 26-24, Illinois Tech led 22-20, but the Storm ended the set on a 6-2 run.
- The Storm picked up the victory in the second set, 25-23.
- Illinois Tech fought back and won the third set, 25-22, after trailing 11-6 with their backs against the wall, the Scarlet Hawks tied it at 12-all.
- The Scarlet Hawks tied the match with their dominant 25-12 set four victory.
- The Storm took the winner-take-all fifth set, 15-11.
How It Happened (Augustana College)
- Augustana took the first set, 25-17, Leah van der Sanden's kill made it 14-13 Augustana but the Vikings used a 11-4 run to close out the match.
- The Vikings won the second set with the same score as the first set, 25-17; The closest Illinois Tech was 11-9 Augustana after the kill by Karen-Marrufo-Zubaran.
- The Scarlet Hawks almost made it to a fourth set but the Vikings won the third set, 27-25. Illinois Tech led 21-20 in the match but Augustana picked up the set and the match.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts (Simpson Match)
- Illinois Tech had three players who reached double figures in multiple categories.
- Mia Phelps led the Scarlet Hawks with 13 kills. Leah van der Sanden had 11 kills and Karen Marrufo-Zubaran rounded out the Illinois Tech attackers with 10 kills.
- Karen Marrufo-Zubaran had a double-double, picking up 10 kills and 18 digs.
- Sinjin Acuna recorded 22 digs which led the Scarlet Hawks.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts (Augustana Match)
- Leah van der Sanden and Helen Leach each had eight kills to lead the Scarlet Hawks.
- Taylor Burton recorded seven kills in the loss.
- Sinjin Acuna had 19 digs for the Scarlet Hawks.
- Illinois Tech returns to action tomorrow, Saturday, October 27 as the Scarlet Hawks conclude their season at Grinnell College starting at 2:00 p.m.