CHICAGO, Ill. – The battle of the redbirds shifted from the soccer field last week to the volleyball court this week, as the Illinois Tech Scarlet Hawks (2-6) hosted the North Central College Cardinals (4-5) for a Tuesday night volleyball match. In Tech's home opener in the Keating Sports Center, the Scarlet Hawks were defeated 3-0.
- NCC, Tech (15-25, 16-25, 17-25)
How it Happened
- North Central built a double-digit lead in the first set before the Scarlet Hawks trimmed it down to six at 19-13. However, the Cardinals were able to re-establish momentum to win XX-XX.
- After the Cardinals jumped out to a 7-1 lead to start set two, Tech came back with four straight. While the Scarlet Hawks fought throughout, the Cardinals slowly built its advantage back up en route to another set win.
- The third set also featured an early Cardinals run, with the visitors scoring five straight before a Nataile Freund kill capped a long rally. In this set, the Scarlet Hawks stayed within striking distance until late, when NCC
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Sinjin Acuna, fresh off of her All-Tournament Team selection this past weekend, led Tech with 14 digs. Courntey Curcio also had 10.
- Stephanie Nguyen recorded her first collegiate service ace in the third set.
- Justine Bracco was efficient with five kills and a .250 hit percentage.
- Tech gets a long break from match play. The Scarlet Hawks will play next on Wednesday, September 18 to open Northern Atheltics Collegiate Conference (NACC) play at Aurora at 7:00 p.m.