ST. MARY OF THE WOODS, Ind. - The Illinois Tech women's volleyball team hit the road for three matches in unver 24 hours in the state of Indiana on Friday, starting with an evening contest at St. Mary of the Woods College (4-11). After trailing the Pomeroys 2-0, Tech fought all the way back to win 3-2.
- Tech 3, SMOW 2: (23-25, 23-25, 28-26, 25-21, 15-10)
How it Happened
- St. Mary's took an early lead, but the Scarlet Hawks established early on that this would be an evening where its gritiness would be on display. After trailing 5-1, the Scarlet Hawks took a 5-0 run to take a lead. Things would stay close most of the first set, but with the Hawks up 19-16, the Pomeroys scored nine of the final 13 points to win it.
- In set two, the hosts built a five-point advantage (13-8) before the Scarlet Hawks came back to tie it at 20 on a Natalie Freund kill. However, the Pomeroys managed to re-establish and go ahead 2-0.
- The Scarlet Hawks were facing match point down 25-24 in the third set. Out of a timeout, Sara Hassell rattled off two straight kills, and after a Tech service error, recorded one more to put Tech up 27-26. With Zoey Kreithe serving for match point, an ace was recorded and momentum went straight to the Hawks.
- Tech carried the momentum forward, going up 11-6 in the fourth set. SMOW forced a tie at 20-20, but the Scarlet Hawks hung strong to force a fifth set.
- Once again, it was the Scarlet Hawks establishing control in the decisive set, building a 10-5 lead. The Pomeroys never threatened, as Hassell closed out the match with a kill.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Hassell was outstanding on the attack with 17 kills, a .429 hit percentage, and two block assists.
- Karen Marrufo-Zubaran has 12 kills and 13 blocks.
- It was an awesome day for Courtney Darling, who had 22 assists, 16 digs, and three aces.
- Allison Wilkins had 23 assists to lead the Hawks. She also had three aces.
- Sinjin Acuna had 24 digs to lead the squad. Justine Bracco had three blocks (one solo, two assisted).
Stats to Know
- The Scarlet Hawks outhit the Pomeroys .214% to .183% and 61-55 in the kills department.
- Tech's defense was strong, recording 85 digs and five total blocks.
- Katelyn Cotter of SMOW was strong with 47 assists, two aces, 21 digs, and two block assists.
- Tech will play at Rose Hulman tomorrow for matches against RHIT (11:00 a.m.) and Trine (1:00 p.m.). Both times listed are central.